IASA Minutes for Call 1 25 2005.txt

IASA Call 11:00 AM EST January 25 2005.

Participants :

Harald Alvestrand
Lynn St. Amour
Steve Crocker
Leslie Daigle
Lucy Lynch
Kurtis Lindqvist
Marshall Eubanks [scribe].

Agenda :

Discussion of the responses to the IAD Job Description
General Discussion

Leslie Daigle described the job applications received so far, and expressed pleasure at the interest expressed. According to Lucy Lynch, the sum total to date is 18, including e-mail and web applications.

Steve Crocker described his previous hiring experiences, and suggested that the next step is to derive a procedure to narrow the candidate list to a few "A list" candidates for further scrutiny.

Leslie Daigle said that at least one applicant had some questions about the IETF and the position, which have to be addressed as prior knowledge of the IETF is not a prerequisite for the position.
Kurtis Lindqvist suggested that anyone with questions should be directed to the appropriate RFC's or Internet Drafts; Lucy Lynch volunteered to review all of the applications and respond to any questions.

Kurtis Lindqvist was surprised that none of the applications to date were regular participants in the IETF, at least to his knowledge; Lucy Lynch pointed out that most of the applications to date found out about the position from the AFNOG list.

The Team agreed that time was pressing, that every effort should be made to disseminate the Job Description as widely as possible.
Lynn St. Amour volunteered to contact Axel Pawlik of RIPE and Paul Wilson for APNIC to obtain wider distribution in Europe.

The Team discussed the Community announcement about Foretec, which to date has received little public response.

Steve Crocker described a procedure for dealing with IAD applicants. His personal view is that a good applicant will be senior enough and successful enough not be overly ambitious. Lucy Lynch suggested that a good IAD should be able to deal with the IESG and the IAB as a peer. Leslie Daigle expressed concern that the Team may not have found the right way to make such people aware of the possibility. Lucy Lynch suggested that such people are likely to be working at Foundations in the US or in Europe. Unfortunately there is now no longer time to advertise in any of the magazines devoted to Philanthropy, which have at a minimum a 6 week lead time.

The Transition Team discussed community involvement in meeting site selection and planning. Lucy Lynch pointed out that there are a number of complications, not the least of which was the desire to find suitable local sponsors, and that a simple majority vote may not be the best way of balancing all of the factors in making a good meeting location. Lucy also pointed out the importance of in kind support for making a good IETF meeting.

The discussion then moved to the topic of the geographic diversity of meeting locations. Leslie Daigle pointed out that there is a fundamental decision to be made by IASA, which is whether meeting locations should aim for geographic diversity, or for the convenience of the people doing the work. Also important is the time horizon of both meeting site planning (which is typically two years) and sponsorship (which may be considerably less). Steve Crocker and Leslie Daigle suggested that the Team ask the ISOC Board for general advice in meeting planning considerations.

The Transition Team then discussed the just released Press Release on the IASA process and the status of the NeuStar contract. The Team is worried about the pace of this process and feels that a back-up procedure is necessary.

On new work, Harald Alvestrand agreed to make a draft IASA timeline, and Lucy Lynch agreed to prepare draft guidelines for meetings.

The next call was scheduled for Tuesday, February 1, at 11:00 EST.